- Unique DesignSince cowhides are derived from animal skins, each hide has its own completely unique characteristics. It may be the special markings of the animal or the colour of the hide. These days there are a variety of different shapes, and patterns available, ranging from the most common tonal, brindle and spotted varieties to the recent favourites that include the laser burnt and acid wash hides. The variety in terms of style and pattern make the hide designs extremely versatile as you are sure to find one that matches your style and décor!
Pro Tip – Since each hide is different from the other, be sure to carefully inspect the hide before purchase. Or, in case of online purchases, you can even ask the seller for images of the hides available in stock, so you know exactly what to expect.
- Sustainable By-productWith the current shift towards sustainable designs, what better way to support the trend than promoting the use of cowhide? Did you know all cowhide products are created using the by-products of the meat industry? When you are purchasing genuine cowhide products, you can rest assured knowing that it is 100% ethically sourced and no animals were harmed for the hide.
- Multipurpose Décor ElementAs we mentioned earlier, cowhides can be used in multiple ways in numerous interior settings. From elegant offices to home décor accents and even wall tapestries, there are endless numbers of ways to fashion a hide! You can use it to class up a mundane waiting area at your office or add a fun texture to your child’s play area at home and it will blend perfectly in either setting, adding a natural rustic vibe.
- Extremely DurableCowhides can withstand a lot of wear and tear due to regular use in homes and offices as a result of heavy foot traffic. While it is known for being able to withstand wear and tear, it is also extremely soft and pliable. That is why it is the perfect material to be used as a rug. In fact it’s the durability factor of cowhides that also make them a very popular family heirloom.
- Easy to MaintainCowhide rugs are extremely easy to maintain as the natural oils present in the hide make it spills and stain resistant. All it requires in the name of cleaning is light vacuuming, followed by shaking out the hide to remove additional dust. Even if you do manage to get a stain on your hide rug, all you need to do is gently wipe off the stained portion with a damn cloth/sponge.
- Hypoallergenic materialAs opposed to contrary belief, natural cowhides are a 100% hypo-allergenic due to the natural oils present on the hide, making it repel dust and dirt. It is the best solution for people who suffer from sinuses, allergies and respiratory issues. In fact it’s the faux furs that you should be weary of as they are usually made of synthetic materials and may cause allergic reactions due to the chemicals used with treating them.As you can see, all of the above mentioned characteristics are unique to cowhide rugs and accessories, making the purchase of a cowhide product more of an investment. All you have to do is find the hide that’s right for you and your style and sit back, relax and enjoy the benefits as well as the luxurious appeal of your new rug!